Violation of an Existing Order – Rule to Show Cause

In South Carolina, a divorce agreement, a separation agreement, or custody, visitation, and child support agreement is not something that should be taken lightly. Once an agreement of the parties has been approved by the family court, that agreement becomes an order of the court-enforceable by the contempt powers of the court. If either party is found to have willfully violated a court order, that party may be held in contempt. The contempt powers of the court consist of a fine of up to $1,500, a public work sentence of more than 300 hours, a sentence in a correctional facility for one year, or any combination of the three.

 In custody matters, many violations can arise when it comes to child support and custody portions of the agreement. From drop-off sites and parenting time schedules, to payment of child support. If a former spouse or co-parent willfully refuses to stick to what they are legally bound, problems may arise, and that person may be held in contempt.

One of the more common violations of a Family Court Order is one parent’s failure to pay child support in a timely manner.    

If you need an Attorney to help you address one parties’ failure to comply with a family court order, Pozsik & Carpenter Attorneys at Law is here to help.

Josh & his team are AMAZING!! They are honest, personable, and listen to all your concerns. You won’t find a better attorney to help with your family needs! Virginia G.